Here's just a small sampling of the natural treasures we've helped preserve over the years.

Clippings from The Anchorage Times- April 15, 1989- Exxon Valdez Oil Spill 

Cook inlet

The first call of action to the SOS response team. The Exxon Valdez Oil spill took Seldovia and it's residents by surprise as the long fingers of the slick approached. "They originally said it was about a 2 percent chance that the oil would reach this far, somebody turned out to be 98 percent wrong"      - Dan Hicks, Seldovia Resident 



Seldovia Harbor

Decontamination of the Husky II. T he Coast Guard, contracted with Seldovia Oil Spill Team to place containment boom in place and monitor the boom daily. In addition to monitoring the vessel, the team helped clean up around 38,800 gallons of diesel and water mixture, hydraulic oil and lubricating fluids and about 1,000 gallons of hazardous waste to include solvents, various containers holding unknown liquids and marine batteries were removed from the vessel leaving only residue. The vessel was then decommissioned and transferred to homer for disassembly. 


Seldovia Bay 

On 23 May, 2015, Chadux was notified that the 120 foot landing craft Thor’s Hammer suffered a fuel release from a tanker trailer that it was transporting. An estimated 6,000 gallons of number 1 diesel fuel spilled from the punctured tanker onto the deck while 3,000 gallons of fuel remained in the tanker.The vessel was then escorted to Seldovia where the Chadux team transferred the remaining fuel to secure storage.  Chadux worked with the SOS team to boom off the vessel while it was in Seldovia.